Friday, 3 June 2011

Shizuka Kusano Japanese Embroidery Exhibition

All photos in this post were taken by me, designs copyright of Shizuka Kusano

Well, we went to Edinburgh to see the exhibition and we had a fabulous time. It took us 4.5 hours to get there and the same to get home so a very long day but worth every minute. Kusano san was charming and kind and she and her students welcomed us with open arms, answering our endless questions and enquiries. Mrs Tarahara, wife of the Japanese Consul General in Edinburgh, was sporting a beautiful obi embroidered by Kusano san and helped very much by doing a fine job of interpreting for us.

I was moved beyond words by some of the work and feel proud and privileged that I got to see the first exhibition of Kusano sans work outside of Japan. I hope this is not the last time we will see her in Europe and if you ever get the chance to visit an exhibition of her work take it.

This is the link to Kusano sans website - with some very nice pictures, and this is the link to the article on the official opening of the exhibition from the Edinburgh Reporter. More lovely pictures.
AND.... we were allowed to take pictures, here is just a small selection of the 100 or more I took during our visit.
Mrs Tarahara's beautiful obi.

6 comments:

Christine said...

The pictures are beautiful, thank you for taking the time to post them (and put the @ on them, too - seems to be a necessary evil these days, drat). You're lucky you were able to go see this. I went to the Japanese Embroidery Center's World Exhibition in Lexington, Kentucky, and it was splendid. No photos allowed unfortunately. Again, thanks.

coral-seas said...

Didn't we have a wonderful day :-)

Thank you for stirring us into going and arranging for us to meet Kusano san. As you say, she was a very gracious and charming lady. I too feel honoured to have met her and seen her beautiful work first hand.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jane for sharing some of your wonderful photos of the exquisite embroidery, I was sorry I was unable to go and see it all for myself.
Betty

Joelle said...

I like so much these embroideries, they are so beautiful.

jason @ gold work embroidery said...

These are so so beautiful and look so fragile.

The epitomy of embroidery

Rei Saionji said...

Yesterday I visited this exhibition and the beauty was breathtaking! I hope more people will see and admire her great works and the love will be spread all over the world!!