Friday, 4 April 2008

Shibori - tie dye technique

Another post on fabric, this time a type of dying technique known as shibori. We often represent this in our Japanese embroidery, the photo below is a shibori cherry blossom from my phase 2 practice piece. Even though this is a beautiful technique, it in no way represents the amount of time and skill that goes into creating a shibori kimono.

This incredible shibori furisode was on Ichiroya quite a while ago, I wanted to buy it so much but someone else got there before me. It must have taken hundreds of hours to make. This is all really by way of saying that if you're interested in Japanese fabrics there are some very interesting videos by Narablog on Youtube.



2 comments:

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Wow, thanks Jane for this video. I have truly enjoyed watching it.

I have always loved everything Japanese.

Love your work and blog :-)

Pierrette =^..^=

Ribbonwiz said...

Hi Jane, thank you for your comment on my blog.
I don't know anything about Japanes embroidery, but your work is lovely.
Early last year I did make a Japanese themed quilt and won a ribbon for it...